Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pilots and Professionals

In the course of my career I would like to end up as a captain for Delta Airlines. I have flown with Delta since I was a kid and I have always had a good experience flying with them even now as a student pilot I hear about the safety, professionalism, and service offered by Delta. As a captain with Delta I would be responsible for the safety of the plane and the passengers behind me. I would also be I would be required to go through annual flight revues in order to remain current and prove that I am a safe pilot. I would be required to make sure that the plane arrives in a safe and on time manner.

Of course there are always risks with the aviation industry.  There are always the risks of mechanical failure, bad weather, an unruly passenger, and a multitude of other concerns. As the pilot in command if there was an issue with the flight I would be liable for the consequences while this might not mean a lawsuit it could mean my job. One way to mitigate these issues is to participate in programs like the FAA WINGS program which focuses on safety. I can go to safety seminars to learn of new techniques to have a safe flight. And one of the simplest things to do is to be a professional; a professional person wouldn't go outside of the rules just to make money. But what is a professional.

I define professionalism as not only looking the part but by acting the part. For example in the case of pilots you may have a captain who shows up to the gate in a tee shirt, shorts, flip flops, and drunk this is obviously unprofessional. Then again you may have a pilot dressed in a nice suit however when he is on the radio or talking to somebody he is rude or swears a lot, this too is unprofessional. My idea of a professional is someone who dresses professional acts professional and is still professional even in a bad situation. Professional people should be serious I am not saying that they shouldn't have fun sometimes but they need to know when it is right time unlike this incident in Atlanta Georgia,
http://www.flyingmag.com/news/audio-atc-joke-causes-boeing-777-abort-landing. Also if a pilot is asked to fly a plane and they know they are unfit to fly that plane, or if they find that the aircraft is unsafe they should have the professional ability to say I cannot do this. For example take the Colgan Air disaster of 2009 both the pilot and co-pilot were both tired from having little to no sleep the night before the flight. The co-pilot was even recorded saying that she was sick and wondered if she should call in sick. Management should know when their pilots are not ready for a flight and they should promote safety not cheaper flights. On top of that some small carriers like Colgan Air were required to add tasks to their company to meet certain requirements such as more maintenance, more check pilots, updated safety inspection, and other items which the company neglected in order to save and make money.


Personally as a pilot I would continue to participate in the FAA WINGS program by attending seminars both in person and online. I feel that by participating in programs like this and continuing to fly outside of the airlines I will be able to stay safe and know the things that are going on around me.

7 comments:

  1. Ryan, I like that you plan to attend programs such as FAA WINGS to keep up with the safety issues in aviation. Do you plan to fly for fun when you are not working to stay sharp with your skills? I know many commercial pilots who choose not to fly for fun out of fear of being busted by a regulation and loosing their certification for a period of time. I'm a firm believer that you can learn important safety aspects on every flight to help make you a better pilot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I intend to keep flying outside of the industry if I can just to stay sharp and actually know how to fly the plane not just push a button.

      Delete
  2. Yes, whether you agree with it or not, how a person dresses or looks as an impact on how they are perceived as a professional, as well as how they speak. Keep in touch after graduation - I may have a Delta connection. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you aspire to be a captain for Delta. It's a long road to get there but once your there your set for life. Hopefully it will still be as prestigious when you become captain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals such as Captain are what a lot of aviation students strive for. Sounds like you know exactly where you want to go and the risks involved. I especially like your plans to attend the WINGS programs and other safety seminars. It seems you will be an example for others to follow. Now how do we get others to be as professional as we plan to be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your example of describing the crew of the Colgan flight was spot on in terms of professionalism. Obviously a lot of changes came from that disaster, and the effects are being felt more and more across the industry. It has been interesting, and will continue to be interesting to see how the industry moves forward with the rule changes and such that have arisen because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Striving to become a captain for a major airline seems like something many people in aviation have in common. However, if all of the good pilots go to the major airlines, and only the ones that are just starting out fly for cargo and regional carriers how safe will the sky be?

    ReplyDelete